Friday, May 23, 2008

Slick Is Saved


So, hip-hop pioneer Slick Rick has received a pardon from New York's legally blind playboy governor David Paterson. Coming on the heels of his "I love you Hilary, but you're looking rather ridiculous please please drop out of the race already" pronouncement, it's making me very fond of him.

Why did Paterson decide that it was necessary to overturn Ricky Walters' 1991 attempted murder conviction? Because Rick was in danger of being deported to Great Britain, where he had lived until the age of 11. Now I shouldn't make light of the dislocation that comes from immigration troubles. I've had 'em meself.

But still, one can imagine the petitions that went forth about the perils of a hip-hop legend getting by in England.

Pluses:

  • Knives, not guns

  • Music press more easily gulled

  • Less competition


Minuses:

With the tie-breaker, being Burial's Untrue. Threat or competition? Either way, will it give him crabs?

Have a good weekend, especially if you are laying down on the banks of the Gowanus, where there will be party music. Oh yes.

2 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’ll bet Slick Rick knows who sold David Paterson his crack. PATERSON HAS ADMITTED DRUG USE!!

Wow, Slick OWNS the blind governor now!!!! I expect we gonna be seeing a whole lotta them pardons!!!

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Gringcorp said...

Hmmm, I don't think abetting drug sales is going to cut it. As leverage, that kind of knowledge is pretty pitiful because, ya know, he admitted it. Like top presidential candidate Barack Obama. What they both have in common is being black men who had lucky breaks. I'm sure that's not the reason you're spraying my comments with exclamation marks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home