Friday, August 18, 2006

Cool Is The Degree


Cool Is The Degree
Originally uploaded by Gringcorp.
I was up disgustingly early this morning for an 8am appointment with La Migra, and must say that despite the location (Downtown Brooklyn) and the decor (how does one make a shade of blue forlorn?). they were really very pleasant. The fingerprinting technology, on the other hand, was a mite more temperamental.

I'm not sure I'll ever completely feel at ease with immigration-related matters. There's too much that can go wrong, and the results of a foul-up can be disconcertingly final. This despite the fact that I've never been detained or deported.

The case of the Mackinac Three, the three gentlemen of Palestinian descent detailed for owning too many cellphones, first as potential terrorists, then as fraud suspects, should give one pause.As far as I can tell, they weren't immigrants, but if they were, I have a suspicion that immigration charges would have been thrown into the mix.

I spent yesterday persuading my new telephone, a Nokia 6102i , to chat with my iMac. It was tricky, because iSync doesn't support the model, but this lovely plugin did the trick.

I had settled on the model rather grudgingly, because I wanted a low-end Nokia with bluetooth, but not necessarily a fliptop phone. I had my eye on the Motorola L2, which is slightly more metal (literally, in this case), and a little more futuristic. But the L2 talks to macs even more grudgingly, so Mrs. Cutesome is checking it out right now.

But what the Nokia does have is a camera, and I reckon I'll be taking quite a few happy snaps with it. I'll try and keep the cheerfully painted trucks to a minimum, but this one, on the way back from downtown, really caught my attention.


[UPDATE. It's not easily googleable, but this French Canandian gentleman claimed to have a version of iSync for the L2, but is appears to have disappeared as a result of him going over his .mc file transfer limit. Needless to say, I didn't save it either]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home