Thursday, April 13, 2006

Rock And Roll Me Again

So, Stereogum got there quicker, and Mig-Hole has done it rarer, but I still have a tuppenceworth about the Pointer Sisters, whose youngest, June, died yesterday.

I didn't listen to much pop in the 1980s, as a rather baffled Cutesome can attest. I basically subsisted on Dire Straits and Status Quo until Faith No More came along (even my parents were ashamed).

But the first two tapes I bought were Born In The USA and the Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack. Back then I was much more interested in the cheese rock, right up until I heard "The Heat Is On" played in an army recruiting video.

But what's interesting is that the electro stuff has aged MUCH better than the cheese rock, except for Junior's "Do You Really (Want My Love)", which is an intriguing hybrid of the two. So it turns out I was on the wrong side all along and will sit out my exile listening to Juan Atkins' early work.

(Quick aside, but wikipedia entries are creeping inexorably to the top of google results on pretty much any subject, right? Not sure I'm happy about that)

I've posted a couple of tunes here, and will as ever, take them down in the event of a cease-and-desist letter, a jive-o-gram from Eddie Murphy or a tactical nuclear strike. I'd like to note, however, that they're digitised versions of a tape I've owned since I was eleven.

The Pointer Sisters - "Neutron Dance"
Buy "The Best Of The Pointer Sisters" here. Times are hard now the reunion tour's missing one

Junior - "Do You Really (Want My Love)"
Buy "Beverly Hills Cop Soundtrack" here. But let's be honest, you taped it in fourth grade

I'm not alone in pushing the "Iran's president is crazy rather than dangerous" meme, although after reading Mr. Hersh on the subject I am a little less flippant. Still, this interior design critic agrees - the man's a flaming nutbar.

2 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you were 11? Good grief, but you do hang on to things, don't you?

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Gringcorp said...

Only when they're crucial psychological props. And Harold Faltermeyer's electro stylings definitely fall into that category.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home